Black Eyed PLACEBO Forum • Loud like Placebo version

Goldsmiths UoL - Honorary Fellowship per Brian

« Older   Newer »
- glòsòli -
view post Posted on 12/12/2012, 21:53     +1   +1   -1

Goldsmiths UoL - Honorary Fellowship per Brian

News from Goldsmiths

Placebo front-man and Big Issue founder among those to be honoured by Goldsmiths

Published: 12 December 2012 09:00

Placebo singer Brian Molko and founder of the Big Issue John Bird are among five distinguished individuals being given honorary awards by Goldsmiths, University of London this December.

Also receiving honorary awards are celebrated novelist Rose Tremain, playwright and screenwriter Moira Buffini and renowned primatologist Dame Dr Jane Goodall.

Dame Goodall will receive an Honorary Degree from the University of London while the remaining recipients will be given Honorary Fellowships from Goldsmiths, University of London. They will be presented with their honorary awards alongside graduating students at the presentation ceremonies in Goldsmiths' Great Hall from Saturday 15 - Wednesday 19 December.

Goldsmiths graduate Brian Molko is best known for his unique vocal and guitar styles, and for challenging traditional gender identities. His band Placebo has released six studio albums, all of which have reached the top 20 in the UK, and have sold over ten million records worldwide.

Brian commented: "I am extremely pleased to be offered an honorary fellowship from Goldsmiths. I have very fond memories of my years spent there, which helped shape me into the artist that I am today. I am particularly grateful for the freedom to take risks which the staff encouraged and for the ambition they nurtured in us - no matter how brazen or off-the-wall it appeared."

John Bird is best known as the founder of The Big Issue, a current affairs and entertainment publication sold by homeless people in every major city in Britain. In its 21 years more than 120 million copies have been sold, enabling homeless people to build better lives for themselves. In 1995, John was awarded the MBE for services to homeless people.

John commented: "I have known Goldsmiths for many decades and have always admired its liberal arts and arts programmes. At Goldsmiths I learnt a very great lesson in social activism and usefulness. I gave a talk to a group there about 15 years ago and I was asked at the end what the students could do to be practical and to be useful. I suddenly found myself singing the praises of a local lunch club and youth club that I knew. They were always looking for helpers, volunteers and anyone to take an interest in the young or the old. That afternoon was an inspiration to me because I didn't know where my thinking was coming from.

"So this great honour is there also to remind me of the humility that we must always carry with us, because we never know from whence and from where and from whom we are going to get our next object lesson. Thank Goldsmiths."

Playwright and screenwriter Moira Buffini - also a Goldsmiths graduate - is committed to writing strong roles for women and was a founding member of Monsterists, a group dedicated to regenerating ambitious writing for large scale space. Her plays 'Dinner' and 'Welcome to Thebes' premiered at the National Theatre, the former transferring to the West End.

"I am very proud to have this honorary fellowship conferred. Goldsmiths was, and is, no ivory tower. Its down to earth, urban environment was probably the making of me; a gauche girl from the sticks. As well as giving me a wide knowledge of literature, a love of plays and an appreciation of the power of spoken language, my time there widened my horizons. I met people of all classes, from every different culture and background. Goldsmiths taught me to love London. I have lived here ever since," Moira said on hearing she was to receive an honorary award.

Jane Goodall is widely regarded as the world's foremost expert on chimpanzees. In 1960, she travelled to Gombe Stream National Park, Tanzania and began a 45-year study of wild chimpanzees' social and family interactions. Today, her work revolves around inspiring action on behalf of endangered species. The conservation efforts of the Jane Goodall Institute include sustainable development programmes that engage communities as true partners.

Jane commented: "I am deeply honoured to be receiving this degree and look forward to joining the Goldsmiths family of faculty and students."

Rose Tremain CBE is an award-winning novelist, who approaches her subjects from unexpected angles, concentrating her attention on unglamorous outsiders. She first came to prominence with her 1989 novel 'Restoration', which describes the adventures of a young medical student at the court of Charles II. It was nominated for the Booker Prize, and adapted for the screen in 1995. Its sequel, 'Merivel', was published this September and shortlisted for the Wellcome Trust Book Prize.

Notes to Editors
- To arrange interviews, contact the Press Office on the number below. Brian Molko will not be available for interview.
- Images of the honorary fellows in their gowns will be available after the ceremonies.
- John Bird will receive his Honorary Fellowship on Saturday 15 December.
- Moira Buffini will receive her Honorary Fellowship on Monday 17 December.
- Rose Tremain will receive her Honorary Fellowship on Tuesday 18 December.
- Jane Goodall will receive her Honorary Degree on Tuesday 18 December.
- Brian Molko will receive his Honorary Fellowship on Wednesday 19 December.
- To find out more about Goldsmiths' Honorary Fellows and graduates go to:

http://www.gold.ac.uk/presentation-ceremon...y-appointments/

- glòsòli -
view post Posted on 19/12/2012, 13:35     +1   -1

i miei screencaps:

tumblr_mfa28asxcZ1r1jlfbo1_250

tumblr_mfa28asxcZ1r1jlfbo2_500

tumblr_mfa28asxcZ1r1jlfbo3_500

tumblr_mfa28asxcZ1r1jlfbo4_500

tumblr_mfa28asxcZ1r1jlfbo5_500

tumblr_mfa28asxcZ1r1jlfbo7_500

tumblr_mfa28asxcZ1r1jlfbo8_500

tumblr_mfa28asxcZ1r1jlfbo9_500

tumblr_mfa28asxcZ1r1jlfbo10_500

ne ho altri ma li devo ancora sistemare :)

view post Posted on 19/12/2012, 14:00     +1   -1

Group:
+ Founder +

AHAAHAHAHAHAHAH ma com'è conciato?XDD

Web  Top
- glòsòli -
view post Posted on 19/12/2012, 14:03     +2   +1   -1

mia madre che era dietro di me si è spanciata e poi ha commentato che sembra un rabbino...io lo darei piu per un giullare di corte :D
comunque quasi caricato il video tra poco lo aggiungerò :)

view post Posted on 19/12/2012, 14:03     +1   +1   -1

Group:
+ Founder +

sembra un hobbit!!

Web  Top
- glòsòli -
view post Posted on 19/12/2012, 17:41     +1   -1

la trascrizione dei vari discorsi (grazie a rosa di pfww)

Professor Alan Downie:

Chair,
I present to you Mr. Brian Molko for admission to the honorary Fellowship of Goldsmith’s college, guitarist, singer sometimes DJ, since graduating from Goldsmiths’ in 1993 he has been a member of the rock band Placebo. Which having released six albums, undertaken six world tours with sales of twelve million albums worldwide, has been called one of the most influential , original and uncompromising successes ever to grace rock music. Brian’s songs have been described in the Times as tales of pleasure, pain and deviant sex.
Over the years he has collaborated with countless artists, too many to mention, but these include Jane Birkin, David Bowie, Robert Smith and the Cure and Micheal Stipe of REM.

Born in Brussels, to an American Jewish businessman father and a Scottish catholic mother. Brian spent periods in Lebanon and Liberia as an infant before his family finally settled in Luxembourg, a country he does not like and which has compared today with David Lynch’s Twin Peaks. After completing his education at the American International school in Luxembourg, therefore he came to Goldsmith’s to read drama and theatre arts, matriculating when he was only seventeen years old. This meant , of course he was the youngest person on the programme and he is remembered by members of the drama department as a quiet student despite his penchant for wearing kohl eyeliner. Needless to say was by no means the first man to wear make up at Goldsmiths’ although he make a bit of an impression with his nude performance in ‘Scar Tissue’ his ... autobiographical final .. year performance piece.

Brian has explained that for him graduating was a liberating experience because he felt that it meant he had fulfilled his parents’ expectations. Living on income support in Drakefell road, trying to find the money to make short films and performing in small Deptford pubs was a different matter, however things changed after a chance meeting with another former student the American International school of Luxembourg, Stefan Olsdal, at South Kensington underground station.
Brian suggested that Stefan watch him play an acoustic set in Deptford. After the gig Stef apparently came up to Brian and said ‘I really like what you’re doing. Let’s make some music together and see what happens’ . Once they’d recruited a drummer, I believe it was in a Burger King in Lewisham High Street if I got that correctly, a classic rock trio was formed, with Brian on guitar and vocals and Stefan playing bass.
And you only have to listen to the driving guitar, bass and drums together with Brian’s distinctive high vocals on their 1995 debut single ‘Bruise Pristine’, which entered the charts on its rerelease in 1997, or the song for which, for obvious reasons their perhaps best known ‘Nancy Boy’ which reached number five, to appreciate that Placebo’s sound ....... has its roots in Punk rock, all be it with an artistic twist. Even their choice of name involve wordplay, because Placebo is not only Latin for ‘I shall please’ but a placebo is, of course, a drug of no pharmaceutical value.
Quickly attracting the attention of important people in the music industry, Placebo were fortunate enough to become the support act for David Bowie’s Outside world tour in early 1996 and their growing reputation was cemented by the band’s solo shows in the UK. Placebo’s eponymous first album released on the 16th of July 1996 went as high as number five in the album charts. The band played the Reading and Leeds festivals in the same year embarking on European and American tours in November. On the ninth of January in 1997 they played at Bowie’s fiftieth birthday bash at Madison Square Garden in New York. Later that night ‘Nancy Boy’ was released as a single, reaching number four in February and after an appearance of Top Of The Pops, for the first album reaching to number five on the album charts on the back of it.
In the circumstances the chorus to ‘Nancy Boy’ perhaps .. to say at all.. ‘and it all break down at the role reversal, got the muse in my head, she’s universal , spinning me (a)round, she’s coming over me’. The Top Of The Pops appearance gave Placebo huge exposure. Some people phoned in to complain, while others wanted to know whether the singer was a boy or a girl. Possibly because Brian was wearing a dress while performing ‘Bruise Pristine’
Placebo’s subsequent albums: Without You I’m Nothing , 1998 and Black Market Music, 2000 also did well in Britain, the latter also going triple platinum in France, Sleeping With Ghosts, 2003, was released with a bonus disc the after name Covers, ....... covers versions of songs by various artists including Kate Bush’s ‘Running Up That Hill’ and The Smiths’ ‘Big Mouth Strikes Again’ which had also been the ‘Nancy Boy’B-side. Despite being leaked on the internet before its official release Meds in 2006 was number one in seven different countries. Battle For The Sun 2009 has been seen as a turning point in Placebo’s career but the band never looked ... sold out arena on the ninth of December 2009. Having just released an EP entitled B3, they are currently working on their seventh album.

Throughout his career, Brian has been terrifyingly open about sex, drugs and rock and roll. Honest about his own sexuality and outspoken about homophobia. For me he has averred fame has no cultural value except if you use it to save the world like Bono or Angelina Jolie, getting a good table at a restaurant doesn’t make you a better person. He was however quite touched he says, by the global campaign conducted by his fans on twitter when he celebrated his fortieth birthday last week.

I hope he’s equally touched to come back to Goldsmith’s , welcome home Brian.

Chair, I present to you Mister Brian Molko for admission to the honoury Fellowship of Goldsmith’s college.

Brian Molko:
I’m very nervous, so please bear with me particularly if my mind goes blank. I am very pleased to be here. I like to thank the chair and the warden and all the staff of Goldsmiths’ college for inviting me here today to receive this illustrious honour .
I must admit I do feel a little bit awkward, this is the first time I have come back in about twenty years so in the prospect of standing here in front of you all is quite a daunting one. And particularly since I have never really considered myself much of a musician, a decent songwriter perhaps who associates with talented musicians and who has managed to steal some of the credit. So to stand in front of you all graduating students, congratulations, is a humbling experience for me so I like to thank you for that. You know, I write simple repetitive songs which scratch at the surface of this magnificent and magical art form which is music. So, you know, I am very humbled to be here. So, yes, I like to congratulate you all for having determination and the courage of your convictions and the singular vision that is necessary to come as far as you have already and I wish you all the best.

Well that.. thank you very much.

jpg

- glòsòli -
view post Posted on 19/12/2012, 18:32     +1   -1

tumblr_mfagmloRuW1r1jlfbo1_500

Ashtray Girl
view post Posted on 19/12/2012, 22:22     +1   -1

Brian a Hogwarts! XD

- glòsòli -
view post Posted on 20/12/2012, 15:10     +1   -1

tumblr_mfc1nulfGX1r1jlfbo1_400

view post Posted on 20/12/2012, 16:18     +1   -1